Tried a new recipe tonight! This one is a keeper! Super easy to put together and not messy at all! Cooks all in one baking dish. The best part is that it is super cheap ($6-7) and fed my family of 5 and there is enough left over for at least two meals.
- 1 (13.25 ounce) package uncooked whole grain penne pasta
- 1 (24 ounce) jar marinara sauce
- 3 cups water
- 1 ½ lbs. raw chicken breast tenders (or thinly sliced chicken breast)
- 1 ½ cups reduced-fat shredded mozzarella (or Italian blend) cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup breadcrumbs or Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- Optional: fresh chopped herbs (such as basil, oregano, and parsley) for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Dump uncooked noodles, pasta sauce, water, chicken and 1/2 cup mozzarella in baking dish. Add salt and pepper. Mix ingredients together. Make sure liquid covers pasta and chicken.
3. Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes
4. Uncover and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked all the way through.
5. Spread breadcrumbs, mozzarella cheese, and Parmesan cheese over pasta dish. Bake uncovered for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and bread crumbs are golden brown.